Yishi Foods Press Kit
Last Updated June 2022
Yishi is bringing delicious new flavors to the convenient breakfast market with our line of healthy instant oatmeals based on our founder's Chinese heritage and her favorite Asian desserts. By offering foods that are healthy but also fun, Yishi wants to help people start every day on a positive note, with a nutritious meal that sparks joy.
Yishi’s mission is to provide delicious, healthy food to support daily wellness. We want meals and even snacks to be moments of self-care, where you can nourish your body while also having fun.
We believe healthy, whole-ingredient food can and should be delicious, and we want to offer these foods in a convenient format that make eating healthy as enjoyable as your favorite Asian dessert.
Lin Jiang grew up in Qingdao, a small coastal town in China. She moved to the U.S. alone at the age of 19 to attend university in the States. She graduated from the University of New Hampshire within 2.5 years and began her career consulting at BCG in Boston.
While working long hours, she found herself reaching for unhealthy snacks. She wanted something healthy to eat at work that was better than the bland, sugary oatmeal that she would reach to out of convenience. She remembered the nutritious black sesame porridge her mother would make for her as a kid and decided to make her own version for the American market.
Lin made black sesame oatmeal from scratch, based on her mother's recipe. It was a hit among those who tried it. She made more oatmeals with the flavors of her favorite Asian foods, and those were a hit as well. Shortly after starting her MBA at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business she quit her job to pursue building this new company.
Through the University of Chicago, Lin received a few grants as well as access to investors. Her oatmeal launched in Chicagoland Whole Foods stores in 2020. In Summer 2021, Yishi closed its seed round at $3.13M.
The company has since grown from just Lin and her co-founder Ze Li to ten full-time employees. The Yishi brand was launched June 2021 to an enthusiastic reception. They have been featured in publications like Bon Appetit, Forbes, and NY Magazine, along with winning various industry awards.
A high volume of sales reflects consumers’ excitement to finally see innovative and healthy Asian flavors in the breakfast market. Yishi is currently sold in over 600 retail stores and will be in 1400 stores by the end of August including national Whole Foods, Meijer, Smart & Final, Gelson’s, Bristol Farms, and Central Market.
· Founded 2019 by CEO Lin Jiang and Co-Founder/COO Ze Li
· Yishi launched online in June 2021
· Yishi is based in Chicago, IL, with the product manufactured in Illinois
· Five uniquely delicious oatmeal flavors currently available: : Taro Bubble Tea, Toasted Black Sesame, Matcha Latte, Red Bean Berry, and Sweet Osmanthus
· The best-selling flavor is Taro Bubble Tea, followed by Matcha Latte and then Toasted Black Sesame
· All Yishi offerings are formulated to fit as many diets as possible, such as vegan, gluten-free, and zero added sugar
· The name Yishi is based on the Mandarin word for “ritual.” Our food philosophy comes from our Asian roots and the traditional Chinese practice of food as medicine.
· Yishi is committed to environmental sustainability, with an USDA-Certified Organic and Plant-Based product, and packaging made from at least 35% post-consumer fiber, the most sustainable packaging material sourced domestically
· As of June 2022, Yishi has sold over 250k servings of oatmeal
· As of June 2022, we are a team of ten full-time employees
Photos and Other Assets
Logos, Product photos, team photos, and photos of Founder/CEO Lin Jiang can be found in this Google Drive.
Recent Articles and Press Coverage
This Toasted-Black-Sesame Oatmeal Puts Quaker's Bland Flavors To Shame [The Strategist]
This Brand is Proving that Oatmeal isn't Boring [Thrillist]
Asian Inspired Oatmeal Startup Poised To Expand In 2022 [Food Business News]
We tried a Chicago-made, bubble tea-flavored oatmeal [Time Out]
‘If Not Now, When?’ Yishi’s Founder On Launching The Next Breakout Breakfast Brand [Forbes]
Oatmeal Is Boring, But This Taro Bubble Tea Oatmeal Is Everything [Bon Appetit]
Oatmeal with an Asian twist [Chicago WGN Radio]
Standout Startups at Expo West Celebrate Asian Flavors [Food Business News]
Asian Inspired Oatmeal Brand is Based In Chicago [ABC7 Chicago]
Winner of Natural Products Expo East 2021 NEXTY Award, Best New Pantry Food
Winner of KeHe On Trend Award, Breakfast & Bars, for the Summer Show 2022
Winner of KeHe On Trend Award, Pantry Staples, for the Holiday Show 2022
Finalist for Startup CPG Shelfie Awards, Best Breakfast Item
Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@yishifoods lang=en